The following table sets forth certain information with respect to the beneficial ownership of BlackRock’s voting securities as of March 31, 2016 by: (i) each person who is known by BlackRock to own beneficially more than 5% of any class of outstanding voting securities of BlackRock; (ii) each of BlackRock’s directors; (iii) each of the executive officers, other than Mr. Hallac, named in the 2015 Summary Compensation Table; and (iv) all of BlackRock’s executive officers and directors as a group.
Except as otherwise noted, each individual exercises sole voting power or investment power over the shares of voting securities shown. The number of shares of voting securities shown in the following Security Ownership Table as beneficially owned by each director and executive officer is determined under the rules of the SEC and the information is not necessarily indicative of beneficial ownership for any other purpose. For purposes of the following Security Ownership Table, beneficial ownership includes any shares of voting securities as to which the individual has sole or shared voting power or investment power and also any shares of common stock which the individual has the right to acquire within 60 days of March 31, 2016, through the exercise of any option, warrant or right.
As of March 31, 2016, there were 163,587,221 shares of BlackRock’s common stock outstanding.
* The number of shares of common stock held by such individual is less than 1.0% of the outstanding shares of common stock.
(1) Does not include unvested restricted stock (“RS”), unvested/unsettled restricted stock units (“RSUs”) and unvested stock options.
(2) Based on the Schedule 13G of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. and affiliates filed on February 12, 2016.
(3) Based on the Schedule 13G of Wellington Management Company, LLP filed on February 16, 2016.
(4) Based on the Schedule 13G of Norges Bank (The Central Bank of Norway) filed on February 11, 2016.
(5) Includes shares of BlackRock common stock held jointly, indirectly and/or in trust (other than shares the beneficial ownership of which has been disclaimed).
(6) Includes shares of BlackRock common stock subject to employee stock options and either exercisable as of March 31, 2016 or exercisable within 60 days of that date. The shares subject to such options are as follows: for Ms. Wagner (126,087 shares) and for all directors and executive officers as a group (150,094 shares). All other non-management directors do not own any options.
(7) Excludes 175,000 shares of BlackRock common stock held by three entities in which Mr. Grosfeld’s children hold a majority of the economic interest. Mr. Grosfeld has disclaimed beneficial ownership of these shares.
(8) Excludes 468,794 shares held in trusts for the benefit of Mr. Kapito, over which Mr. Kapito does not have voting or dispositive power.
As of March 31, 2016, there were 823,188 shares of BlackRock’s Series B non-voting convertible participating preferred stock issued and outstanding, which has a liquidation preference of $0.01 per share (the “Series B Preferred Stock”), and 763,660 shares of BlackRock’s Series C non-voting convertible participating preferred stock issued and outstanding, which has a liquidation preference of $40.00 per share (the “Series C Preferred Stock”). As of March 31, 2016, PNC owned all issued and outstanding shares of our Series B Preferred Stock and Series C Preferred Stock.